January 1 brought good weather for flying rockets.  My club SEVRA had obtained permission to fly at Fentress Naval Auxiliary Landing Field and an FAA waiver to fly to 10,000′ so, I decided to go fly rockets on New Year’s day.  Dana, Eva, Steve, Kelly, and Spear also came along.  Eva and Spear built rockets the night before and flew their Estes Gold Streaks several times.  Eva also flew her HiJinks.  To start the day/year off, I flew my Big Daddy on an E28-7T.  Although the simulations indicated an altitude of 1100′, the rocket only went 835′.

I flew my first dual deployment today. I modified my BDR 4.0 by adding an electronics bay and installed a Featherweight Raven 2 altimeter. The ejection charges were constructed from a 1.5 cc centrifuge vial, a Q2G2 igniter, and 1 gram of FFFG black powder. The Cesaroni H225 White Thunder motor delay was set to 1.5 seconds past the predicted apogee as a back up. The flight went without a hitch, perfectly straight up. The yellow rocket was stunning against the unusually haze-free, deep blue sky.  On the H225 motor, the peak acceleration was 11.5G and the maximum velocity was 346fps.  Apogee was measured at 1264′ and was, once again, higher than simulation. The max speed and altitude both support a CD lower than I’ve been using and much lower than calculated. Because of southerly winds, a lot of the rockets flown were headed for, over, and occasionally into the trees so, I decided to use a smaller parachute. The rocket was flown without a drogue.  The apo charge separated the rocket and the resultant descent rate was 50 fps. The main parachute was set to deploy at 500′. The decent rate on the main chute was 25 fps and the rocket hit a concrete taxiway. Modest damage was sustained but, the rocket was repaired this afternoon and is ready to go once again.  Despite the high descent rate and damage, I think the larger chute would have carried it into the trees. All in all, this was a good start to the new year.